Friday, November 4, 2011

Mitt Romney talks global warming in Portsmouth, NH

Yesterday, Mitt Romney reiterated his belief that "the world is getting warmer and humans contribute, though I don't know how much."

The former Massachusetts Governor's latest comments on global warming came during a November 3, 2011 meeting with the editorial board of the Portsmouth Herald, and just hours before his widely covered speech on government spending in Exeter, New Hampshire.

But just last week, Romney told a group of GOP donors gathered at the Consol Energy Center in Pittsburgh, "My view is that we don't what's causing climate change on this planet."

In this video, the former Massachusetts Governor explains this inconsistency to the Portsmouth Herald, and suggests that voters should read his book, No Apology: Believe in America, if they want to know where he stands on the issues.


Here's what Romney had to say:
The nice thing about writing a book is that I can lay out what I believe on a wide array of issues facing the country.

And I think you’ll find that I’ve been as consistent as human beings can be as I look at those issues and I try to apply those principles to government. You can see in my record as Governor what I believe and what I do.

I cannot state every single issue in exactly the same words every single time and so there are some folks who obviously for various political and campaign purposes will try to find some change and draw great attention to something that looks like change, which in fact is entirely consistent.
Romney then went on to defend his position on global warming as moderate:

As we began with on the policy related to warming, I’m happy to elaborate to make sure people understand exactly where I am.
But I do know in the world of politics that if you have a position like mine, which says, look I think there’s probably global warming and I think humans contribute to it, but I don’t know how much. And therefore I’m not willing to spend trillions of dollars on global warming projects.
That’s not an extreme position one way or the other. I’m not saying, “Global warming, stop all emissions!” or “There’s no such thing as global warming,” those things you’re strong one way or the other.
My position is, frankly, I think right and reasoned, but requires more than one sentence to answer, and therefore, now and than can be used as a way to try and miscategorize my views.

No comments:

Post a Comment